Monday, May 31, 2010

Day 3: About my eco-friendliness.

I have made a very strong dedication to being environmentally friendly. This started around the age of 11. My step-mother has always been eco-friendly. She grows her own herbs, she buys meat that is non-hormone induced, she makes her own cleaning supplies(and when she doesn't she still buys all natural), she makes her own soap from all natural materials, she buys NOTHING from Mall-Wart, and she inspired me to do the same.

When I was 11ish, I started my hippie stage. I listened to the Beatles and the Doors every day, along with other groovy '60's bands. I wore tie-dye, long skirts, bell-bottom jeans, and peasant blouses too. This was my beginning.

My dad got me my first car when I was 16 (I still have it.) A very cute, little red, 2006 Chevy Aveo. On a BAD day it gets 32 MPG! I decked it out with a Coexist bumper sticker, a groovy sleeping sun sticker, I hanged a bracelet I hand-made onto the rear-view mirror, and (of course) I had an "Obama '08" bumper sticker. Unfortunately the bumper stickers fell off ='(. But I'll buy more! haha! I am hoping to get a hybrid someday. But I'm a college student, and broke. A 38 MPG car is good for someone like me!

The only difference from my childhood years; when I wore the tie-dye and everything.... I've realized that nobody hires "hippies." So, I actually became interested in fashion. BUT! I wear all natural make-up, I use all natural styling products, I have all natural shampoos and soaps, most of my clothing is non-sweatshop made, and I even have an energy saving hair-dryer. So, to all you girls who don't think you can do it. YOU CAN!!! Go do it! It's easy, and it's sometimes cheaper than the alternative! Half of my wardrobe is made in the USA. I buy American Apparel, made in downtown LA. And, this is bad, I do shop at American Eagle. I'm not sure if it is sweatshop or not... But their Jeans fit me better than most, and they're comfortable.

BUY SECOND HAND!!! I give all of my small clothes to consignment shops or charity, I buy clothing that has been used, and my mom and I switch clothes sometimes!

I respect the saying Reuse, Reduce, Recycle. And I live by it!
REUSE: If I ever have to get bags at Meijer or something, because I forgot my shopping bag or something, I use it for cat litter! If I have scruffed up clothing that can't go to charity, and I can't wear it, I use it as a rag for cleaning. Glass soda, wine, or booze bottles; I reuse as vases or jewelry holders!
REDUCE: I use my own shopping bags as often as I can, I refuse to buy bottled water (I have a Brita water filter), and I buy recycled plastic garbage bags.
RECYCLE: I recycle EVERYTHING! Shampoo bottles, soap bottles, milk jugs, coke cans/bottles, paper, and a LOT more! Advice I give to Coca-cola addicts like me! Use mycokerewards.com! It's a points system that works! I have a free 1 year subscription to Marie Claire, my favorite fashion magazine, just for putting my coke code online! After you do that, make money off of you coke intake and do the can/bottle return at Meijer! It pays you AND it recycles your cans/bottles. And whatever the machine doesn't take, you can still recycle them at your local recycling center!

If I can be almost completely friendly. So can you! I have no job, I'm a college student, and still I make the dedication to be as eco-friendly as possible. Make the switch. You, your family, the earth, and others will thank you later.

Love,
Kiki

No comments:

Post a Comment